Re: Linker Confusion.....

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ralf Hasemann <rhasemann(at)mac(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linker Confusion.....
Date: 2009-07-23 21:39:39
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Ralf Hasemann <rhasemann(at)mac(dot)com> writes:
> How does the linker know to link against libpq.5.dylib when libpq.a is
> the only lib in my project?

You'd be best advised to ask that on an OSX development list; it's not
particularly a Postgres question, but a question of the behavior of the
development tools on that platform.

Mind you, the above behavior is probably *good*, and I don't recommend
you try to override it.  Statically linked libraries are a real pain
in the neck when it comes time for a software update.  But exactly how
the toolchain you're using finds the dynamic library, I don't know.