Re: more than 1000 connections

From: "Jorge Medina" <jorge(at)bsdchile(dot)cl>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: more than 1000 connections
Date: 2008-08-06 16:42:54
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Mark Roberts
<mailing_lists(at)pandapocket(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 08:06 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
>> Out of interest - why 1000 connections?
>>
>> Do you really expect to have 1000 jobs concurrently active and doing
>> work? If you don't, then you'll be wasting resources and slowing
>> things
>> down for no reason. There is a connection overhead in PostgreSQL -
>> IIRC
>> mostly related to database-wide locking and synchronization, but also
>> some memory for each backend - that means you probably shouldn't run
>> vastly more backends than you intend to have actively working.
>>
>> If you described your problem, perhaps someone could give you a useful
>> answer. Your mention of pgpool suggests that you're probably using a
>> web
>> app and running into connection count limits, but I shouldn't have to
>> guess that.
>>
>> --
>> Craig Ringer
>
> This is actually a fantastic point. Have you considered using more than
> one box to field the connections and using some sort of replication or
> worker process to move them to a master database of some sort? I don't
> know about the feasibility of it, but it might work out depending on
> what kind of application you're trying to write.
>
> Disclaimer: I work in a data warehousing and we only have 45 concurrent
> connections right now. OLTP and/or large connection counts isn't really
> what I spend my days thinking about. ;-)
>
> -Mark
>

> --

I have many trouble's with server, because my webmail(roundcube) works
with the db and the machine only have 2G of RAM but collapse with 60
concurrent connections, I try with persistent connections and the same
problem, I need configure a pool of connection or something.
my config
max_connections = 100;
shared_buffer = 32MB
increase to 460 connections and 128MB of shared buffers but it's the same

--
Jorge Andrés Medina Oliva.
Evolve or die!