Re: Wire protocol: type-specific opt-in to binary format

From: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wire protocol: type-specific opt-in to binary format
Date: 2011-11-24 13:59:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Nov24, 2011, at 10:03 , Florian Weimer wrote:
> I would like to add functionality which allows a client to tell the
> server which types can be sent in binary format.  The immediate goal is
> to suppress hex quoting for BYTEA values, but it seems to make sense to
> make this functionality more general.

If you use the extended query protocol, the client can already choose
text vs. binary representation on a per-column basis. You can query the
result's column types by issuing a Describe message after the Parse message.
For each column you can then decide whether you want textual or binary
representation, and include that choice in the subsequent Bind message.

best regards,
Florian Pflug