Init script for 8.1 compiled on Debian Stable

From: linux(at)alteeve(dot)com
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Init script for 8.1 compiled on Debian Stable
Date: 2006-04-28 14:53:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

For the first time, I decided to compile and manually install PostgreSQL
8.1. I did it on my Debian Stable machine because I didn't want to add
the testing or unstable repositories. Everything works fine with
PostgreSQL 8.1!

My question is, I got a copy of an 'init.d' script from another 8.1 on
Debian install (from apt-get) and tried it on my system which,
obviously, failed. Does any know of/have/are will to share an 'init.d'
script for a stock compiled 8.1 on Debian Stable?

From what I can tell it won't start if called from 'root' so the only
thing I have thought of so far is writting a little setuid postgres
script to start it but then I'd still have to manually kill the server
should I want to stop/restart it, which isn't ideal.

Thanks!!

Madison