Re: BUG #3809: SSL "unsafe" private key permissions bug

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Simon Arlott <simon(at)arlott(dot)org>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3809: SSL "unsafe" private key permissions bug
Date: 2007-12-08 23:57:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Gregory Stark wrote:
>> Storing your keys on a usb stick (which usually use fat filesystems)
>> isn't really such a crazy idea either.

> Storing a server SSL key on a USB stick is not crazy? I don't follow.
> What use case do you have for that?

It's worth pointing out also that we require server.key to be directly
in the $PGDATA directory, which means that any filesystem limitations on
its permissions info are going to apply to the $PGDATA directory itself.

Curiously enough, the access-permission checks on both $PGDATA and
$PGDATA/server.key are diked out in WIN32 builds, but I consider that
a bug we should fix, not a feature to be extended.