Re: Syntax got translated

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Susanne Ebrecht <susanne(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Syntax got translated
Date: 2012-02-20 20:55:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> writes:
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 14:15:34 -0300, Alvaro Herrera
>> Excerpts from Susanne Ebrecht's message of sb feb 18 18:11:54 -0300
>>> I think that the constraint keyword "DEFAULT" should not be translated
>>> here.

> I don't see why the modifiers shouldn't be translatable. It's not as if
> they were intended to be copied and pasted in a query. They are here to
> help the user understand the different modifiers in each column.

> -1 to get rid of the translations.

It seems to boil down to whether you think the "Modifiers" column
contains SQL, or a textual description of the column's properties.
I could go either way on that, but I notice that the existing code
is in the habit of truncating the default expression at 128 characters.
If we want to decide that we're printing real, copy-and-pastable SQL,
that seems like a bad idea.  On the other hand, if we're printing
informational text, it's not an unreasonable thing.