Re: BUG #3682: Incomplete database restore

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Gary Chambers" <gwchamb(at)gmail(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL Bugs" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #3682: Incomplete database restore
Date: 2007-10-21 20:24:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs
"Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> Perhaps we should include the functionality of that script in pg_dump.

I'm pretty uncomfortable with the notion of having pg_dump deliberately
throw data away.  Another problem is that even if we did that, it would
only help people who dumped their old DB with 8.3 pg_dump.

Having the functionality in pg_restore would be a little saner, but it
still seems like a big wart.

As for the datatype issue, I wonder whether we should just advise people
to do
	CREATE DOMAIN public.tsvector AS pg_catalog.tsvector;
before restoring?