Re: complete uninstall of postgres 9.0.4

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ramy Abdel-Azim <ramy(dot)abdel-azim(at)startdatelabs(dot)com>
Cc: Baux David <david(dot)baux(at)inserm(dot)fr>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: complete uninstall of postgres 9.0.4
Date: 2011-11-07 18:17:44
Lists: pgsql-novice
Ramy Abdel-Azim <ramy(dot)abdel-azim(at)startdatelabs(dot)com> writes:
> sorry here's the whole result of my find (i only posted just a little over
> half the first time - very sorry. i don't frequent the mailing lists as
> much as I should)

Hmmm ... you said you're running on OS X Lion?  If you are, then a lot
of these hits correspond to the postgresql code installed *by Apple*
as part of the OS, and it's likely not such a good idea to remove them.
(Yes, they ship 9.0.4 with Lion, or large chunks of it anyway.  I think
you need to buy Lion Server to get a complete working server from Apple,
but all the client-side code is there in the base OS.)

It's possible to set up a user install of a different version of
Postgres without conflicting with Apple's copy, but it has to go into
different directories, such as /usr/local.  Trying to remove Apple's
copy altogether doesn't sound like the way to proceed.