Re: Looking for help with using regular expression match or perl language functions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Richard DeVenezia" <radevenz(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Looking for help with using regular expression match or perl language functions
Date: 2000-10-25 16:36:19
Lists: pgsql-general

"Richard DeVenezia" <radevenz(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com> writes:
> What would be the pgsql statement to get a regexp match such as $1 into a
> column ?
> ... In reality I am using much more
> convoluted and complicated regular expressions.

In that case I'd recommend you cut to the chase: just go directly to
plperl or pltcl, according to your preference. Either one will offer
far more flexibility for text-mashing than is available from Postgres'
built-in functions. We don't have a regsub function at all, and our
regexp matcher is pretty limited (it does ISO regexps only, not much
if you're used to perl or tcl).

plperl is fairly new and still suffering teething pains, so you might
have trouble getting it to build on your system. pltcl is more stable.