Re: Can't restart Postgres

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Thom Brown" <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can't restart Postgres
Date: 2008-10-30 02:19:53
Lists: pgsql-general

"Thom Brown" <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Actually I did "ps aux | grep post" just to cover all bases, but still
> nothing.. except of course the grep itself.

The overwhelming impression from here is of a seriously brain-dead
startup script. It's spending all its effort on being chatty and none
on actually dealing with unusual cases correctly :-(. Whose script
is it anyway?

My bet is that there's some discrepancy between what the script is
expecting and what your intended configuration is. I'm not sure if
the discrepancy is exactly the PID-file location or if it's more subtle
than that, but anyway I'd suggest reading through that script carefully
to see what it's actually doing.