Re: BUG #5267: initdb fails on AIX: could not identify current directory

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Michael Felt" <mamfelt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5267: initdb fails on AIX: could not identify current directory
Date: 2010-01-06 16:03:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs
"Michael Felt" <mamfelt(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I have compiled postgresql on AIX 6.1 without a great deal of difficulity
> (./configure -without-readline -without-zlib).

> However, the fist step - initdb - fails. I have not been able to determine
> which directory it is complaining about.

> could not identify current directory: The file access permissions do not
> allow the specified action.

This message means that getcwd() failed, apparently with an EACCESS
code.  Typically what that means is that some parent directory of
the current directory is not readable or searchable by the user you
ran initdb as.

I believe that initdb also invokes getcwd for the directory that
its own executable is in, and possibly for the target data directory,
so you should check the paths leading to those as well.