Re: rpm install issues - RHE3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chris Jensen <iamameatpopsicle(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: rpm install issues - RHE3
Date: 2005-03-30 19:07:20
Lists: pgsql-novice

Chris Jensen <iamameatpopsicle(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> i need to install PostGreSQL 8.0.1 on my RedHat Enterprise 3 server.
> i'm using the postgresql-8.01-2PGDG.x86_64.rpm package, and it's
> paired server package. i get a lot of dependency failures on an rpm
> -ivh command, but when i check to see if i have the required
> dependencies everything seems to be there.

I suspect it's complaining about you having the wrong versions of those
shared libraries --- in other words, you're trying to use an RPM that
was built for a different release of RHEL/Fedora.

If you can't find an RPM that was built for exactly your release, you
need to get the source RPM and rebuild it locally. I'd recommend that
over trying to build directly from the original tarball --- you can still
use RPM package management if you do it that way.