Re: RPM: Contrib request.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RPM: Contrib request.
Date: 2001-01-26 04:51:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> But, in the instance of pg_dumplo -- can I get some ideas on it? Should
>> it be shipped as a separate package, or in the -server subpackage, or??

> It shouldn't be packaged at all because it's not necessary. (pg_dump
> dumps large objects.)

The reason pg_dumplo is still there at all is that it might be handy for
forward compatibility for people who are using pg_dumplo with 7.0.
(Yeah, I know it wasn't *in* the 7.0 release, but I've been sending out
7.0-compatible copies to anyone who asked about LO dumping lately.)

I don't think pg_dumplo will be around for very many releases, but it
deserves to stay in contrib for a little while yet.

Meanwhile, it's not the RPMs' place to editorialize on which contrib
items are useful. Package 'em all, unless we hit build problems.