Re: RPM: Contrib request.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, Randy Hall <rhall(at)greatbridge(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RPM: Contrib request.
Date: 2001-01-26 04:36:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
> I think the cleanest way to provide the contrib programs is to build a
> postgresql-contrib with _everything_ in it.
>>
>> This is what I do for the Debian release.

> Precedent set; precedent followed.  I'll be hopefully packaging the
> _entire_ contrib tree :-) for beta 4, over the weekend.

The only potential downside is that the contrib tree has (historically)
not been as much shaken out for portability bugs as the main tree.
You might find that some contrib items don't build, let alone run,
everywhere.

This probably isn't that big a danger for the RPMs, which only address
a narrow subset of Unixen, but I recommend keeping your antennae up
for possible problems.