Re: preventing the effective fork bomb when restarting a high traffic server?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff <threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: preventing the effective fork bomb when restarting a high traffic server?
Date: 2004-12-13 22:18:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

Jeff <threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org> writes:
> The problem I'm encountering is when I restart PG for whatever reason
> it takes it a long time to come back fully online: the reason: the
> machine is dealing with over 100 connection attempts / second while
> trying to replay the logical logs.

Um, perhaps you should allow the database to shut down normally, instead
of kill -9 or whatever you're using? There should not be any log
replay needed after an ordinary restart.

In any case, I think the best solution would be to fix your frontends to
wait a little bit between connection attempts...