Re: Procedures, triggers and transactions...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mauri Sahlberg <Mauri(dot)Sahlberg(at)claymountain(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Procedures, triggers and transactions...
Date: 2004-01-25 21:08:49
Lists: pgsql-admin
Mauri Sahlberg <Mauri(dot)Sahlberg(at)claymountain(dot)com> writes:
> The framework is that a c++ application transforms xml-input data to
> sql-procedure calls with appropriate parameters who in turn call another
> procedures who in turn call another procedures... And as all procedures
> are run in the transaction of the outermost select (in this case the c++
> application's select that called the initial procedure) we have huge
> problems with concurrency.

Why do you have "huge problems with concurrency"?  Under MVCC the only
reason for such things to conflict is if different transactions try to
update the same rows.  If you do have such updates, it would seem that
breaking the transactions into smaller ones would be likely to introduce
correctness issues ...