Re: BUG #1671: Long interval string representation rejected

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Mark Dilger <markdilger(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1671: Long interval string representation rejected
Date: 2005-05-19 04:08:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs
>> Perhaps it would work to downcase just one token at a time, so that
>> the max buffer length equals the max acceptable token?

> Not sure I follow you.

I believe that the reason for the local buffer is to hold a downcased
version of the input, which we can compare to the all-lower-case tables
of relevant keywords.  So plan A for fixing it is to downcase and
compare one token at a time, instead of downcasing the whole string
at once.

Plan B is to make the token comparison routines case-insensitive
themselves, so that there's no need for a temporary copy of the input.

Probably someone can think of plans C and D too ... I don't have any
strong allegiance to any one way to fix it.