Re: How to determine field names in a trigger?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Justin Clift <jc(at)telstra(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>,pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to determine field names in a trigger?
Date: 2004-06-29 13:41:08
Lists: pgsql-general
Justin Clift <jc(at)telstra(dot)net> writes:
> PL/TCL does seem to provide that extra bit of info to functions/triggers
> that I need, whereas PL/pgSQL doesn't.

It's not so much that there's more info available as that pltcl is
better suited for working with dynamically generated queries.  plpgsql
is handicapped by the fact that it wants to precompute and cache query
plans.  That's a performance win when you're working with known tables
but it really gets in the way for dynamically addressing columns.

> I'd prefer not to have to load
> further PL's into the database, but it's worth looking at anyway.

Different needs, different tools.