Re: Oracle Porting, Compiere

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John Huttley <john(at)mwk(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: "pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Oracle Porting, Compiere
Date: 2003-04-01 05:13:44
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

John Huttley <john(at)mwk(dot)co(dot)nz> writes:
> This isn't more that a month or two old.

Okay, it wasn't real clear...

> The previous version worried about nested transactions.

It still should. I see no prospect that nested xacts will be in 7.4,
and I wouldn't care to bet they'll be in the release or two after ...

On a more positive note:

* NUMERIC does indeed do the unspecified-precision thing.

* If you can't be bothered to rename datatypes, CREATE DOMAIN would
serve to provide Oracle-compatible names for Postgres datatypes.
There is some parse-time overhead associated though.

* CREATE OR REPLACE does exist for some object types now --- views and
functions for sure, don't recall anything else.

* Postgres *does* do sub-SELECT-in-FROM, which is what I think is meant
by the references to embedded views.

* On the outer join syntax issue: PG supports the SQL-standard syntax,
which I believe is also supported by recent Oracle releases. Consider
migrating away from Oracle's proprietary syntax.