Re: [HACKERS] Re: ERROR: index_rescan: invalid amrescan regproc ???

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Brian P Millett <bpm(at)ec-group(dot)com>
Cc: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>, postgres <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: ERROR: index_rescan: invalid amrescan regproc ???
Date: 1999-04-26 14:54:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> I did remove the old & do an "initdb", "createdb test", then reran the :
> java -classpath $MYCLASSPATH example.ImageViewer jdbc:postgresql:test bpm
> foo

> Then I got the following SQLexception.
> ERROR:  index_beginscan: invalid ambeginscan regproc

> Then I did the
> test=> select * from pg_am;
> [ perfectly normal-looking pg_am table ... ]

Hmm.  Nothing wrong with the table that I can see; conclusion is that
its cache image in memory must be messed up.  Perhaps you are indeed
dealing with a platform-specific bug.  Or it could be a memory-clobber
kind of problem (but I'd think lots of people would be reporting strange
behavior if we had one of those on the loose).

You might try building the backend with assert checking turned on
(--enable-cassert) to see if any problems are detected.