Re: Load Distributed Checkpoints, final patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>, Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Load Distributed Checkpoints, final patch
Date: 2007-06-26 20:44:01
Lists: pgsql-patches
> We could just allow any value up to 1.0, and note in the docs that you
> should leave some headroom, unless you don't mind starting the next
> checkpoint a bit late. That actually sounds pretty good.

Yeah, that sounds fine.  There isn't actually any harm in starting a
checkpoint later than otherwise expected, is there?  The worst
consequence I can think of is a backend having to take time to
manufacture a new xlog segment, because we didn't finish a checkpoint
in time to recycle old ones.  This might be better handled by allowing
a bit more slop in the number of recycled-into-the-future xlog segments.

Come to think of it, shouldn't we be allowing some extra slop in the
number of future segments to account for xlog archiving delays, when
that's enabled?