Re: pgsql/src Makefile.shlib

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql/src Makefile.shlib
Date: 2001-03-12 17:39:22
Lists: pgsql-committers
> You probably want to define this in Makefile.hpux (compare to
> Makefile.linux for example), unless you want to link *all* shared
> libraries this way.

I tried this and realized that it does not work unless I make
	shlib_symbolic = -Bsymbolic
rather than
	shlib_symbolic = -Wl,-Bsymbolic
as is done on all the other platforms that define this symbol.
Reason: we build shlibs by invoking the linker directly, not
via the compiler, on HPUX.

AFAICT, our practice for the other platforms that invoke the linker
directly is to include options directly into the LINK.shared macro;
see for example the *bsd and sunos4 entries in Makefile.shlib.
These examples are why I added -Bsymbolic to HPUX's LINK.shared in the
first place, and I'm now inclined to leave it that way.  Comments?