Re: Random penalties on GIN index updates?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jesper(at)krogh(dot)cc
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Random penalties on GIN index updates?
Date: 2009-10-21 15:13:57
Lists: pgsql-performance

jesper(at)krogh(dot)cc writes:
> If i understand the technicalities correct then INSERT/UPDATES to the
> index will be accumulated in the "maintainance_work_mem" and the "user"
> being unlucky to fill it up will pay the penalty of merging all the
> changes into the index?

You can turn off the "fastupdate" index parameter to disable that,
but I think there may be a penalty in index bloat as well as insertion
speed. It would be better to use a more conservative work_mem
(work_mem, not maintenance_work_mem, is what limits the amount of stuff
accumulated during normal inserts).