Re: ERROR: duplicate key violates unique constraint "pg_type_typname_nsp_index"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Guerin <guerin(at)rentec(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: duplicate key violates unique constraint "pg_type_typname_nsp_index"
Date: 2004-11-27 19:06:07
Lists: pgsql-novice
Michael Guerin <guerin(at)rentec(dot)com> writes:
>      I'm not sure what the cause of this error is, but I figured I
> should post it.

> ERROR:  duplicate key violates unique constraint "pg_type_typname_nsp_index"
> ERROR:  duplicate key violates unique constraint "pg_type_typname_nsp_index"
> CONTEXT:  SQL statement "create temp table tmp_children ( uniqid bigint,
> memberid bigint, membertype varchar(50), ownerid smallint, tag varc
> har(50), level int4 )"

Hmm.  It looks like the source of the problem is an
only-partially-deleted temp table left behind by some prior failure.
Specifically, the rowtype entry for the table is still there in
pg_type, though its pg_class entry must be gone or you'd have gotten
a different error message.  This seems pretty odd, since the catalog
entries should have been deleted in a single transaction.

Can you look back just before you started getting these, and see if
there is any record of a backend crashing during exit?

It's too bad you already restored from backup, since you've now wiped
out all the evidence ...