Re: Reserved words and delimited identifiers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Joe Abbate <jma(at)freedomcircle(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reserved words and delimited identifiers
Date: 2011-11-30 05:48:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> I will cheerfully admit that this is confusing and inconvenient, and I
> didn't understand it either until I implemented pg_dump
> --quote-all-identifiers.  However, I'm not sure there's any easy way
> to improve the situation.

... especially without breaking compatibility with the SQL standard,
which explicitly requires that INTEGER be a keyword.  We've been around
on this before, many years ago.  By my reading of the spec, accepting
"integer" (with the quotes) as a name for the standard integer type
would actually be contrary to spec, or at least an extension in exactly
the same way that "int4" is an extension.  We could doubtless do it,
but the project gets less rewarding the more you think about the other
keyword type names required by spec.