Re: SOC & user quotas

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Sergey E(dot) Koposov" <math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Subject: Re: SOC & user quotas
Date: 2007-03-02 01:08:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"Sergey E. Koposov" <math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru> writes:
> I still  don't understand how FS quotas can help with DB quotas. ..
> All the FS quotas are setup for limiting  the space for specific user and
> specific mount point. AFAIK They do not allow to limit the space in one
> directory. And since all the PG tablespaces will be owned by postgres
> user, I dont think the FS quotas can do the job.

Well, you have to put the tablespace on a mount point that's not
otherwise used by Postgres, but beyond that I don't see the problem.

The point here is not that it's amazingly simple or convenient to use;
obviously it isn't.  The point is that it's *possible* to get this sort
of effect today, and so we have to ask whether it's really worth a good
deal of development effort and code complexity to provide somewhat
more convenient, but basically duplicate, functionality within Postgres.