Re: upper() problem in 7.0.2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Christopher L(dot) Cousins" <chris(at)impulse(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: upper() problem in 7.0.2
Date: 2000-07-05 16:03:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Christopher L. Cousins" <chris(at)impulse(dot)net> writes:
> Using PHP4 or PHP3, the following query will ~sometimes~ cause the
> backend to terminate. It depends the value of $searchstr and appears
> (to me anyway) to be random. A $searchstr that causes the backend to
> crash right now may work just fine in a few hours.

> The same query issued through psql will not cause the backend to crash.

> For both interfaces (psql and PHP4) the query logged (debug) is the same.

That's really odd. Since you don't have a reproducible example, we'll
have to ask you to do some more digging. Would you build the backend
with -g, and then next time you see the problem get a stack backtrace
from the core file left by the crashed backend?

Notes: (a) the core file should appear in the database subdirectory,
ie ..../data/base/YOURDBNAME/core. (b) if you see no core file there
from the prior crashes, you probably have launched the postmaster with
a ulimit setting that prevents core dumps. You'll need to be careful
to relaunch it with a setting that does allow dumps.