Re: WEIRD CRASH?!?!

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Noah Silverman <noah(at)allresearch(dot)com>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WEIRD CRASH?!?!
Date: 2003-01-25 01:04:07
Lists: pgsql-performance

Noah Silverman <noah(at)allresearch(dot)com> writes:
> One clue.
> I actually moved the pg_xlog directory to another drive and then
> symbolically linked it back to the data directory.

Uh, did you have the postmaster shut down while you did that?

This looks like a collision between two processes both trying to create
the next segment of the xlog at about the same time. But there are
interlocks that are supposed to prevent that.

I don't think you need to worry about the integrity of your data; the
panic reset should put everything right. But I'd sure be interested
if you can reproduce this problem.