Re: Single-Transaction Utility options

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Single-Transaction Utility options
Date: 2005-12-16 18:59:03
Lists: pgsql-patches

> The following patches add a -N option to psql and pgrestore.

-N seems an entirely random name for the switch ... can't we do better?
I see that -t, -T, -s, -S, -x and -X are all taken, which lets out the
obvious choices ... but I'd rather have no single-letter abbreviation at
all than one that has zero relationship to the function of the switch.
Would -1 work, or just confuse people?

Also, I don't actually see any point to this in psql, as you can
always do
begin;
\i file
end;
It's only pg_restore that you really need it for. Dropping the psql
part of the patch might give us a little more maneuvering room as far
as the switch name goes.