Re: Simplify formatting.c

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Simplify formatting.c
Date: 2008-06-22 00:54:07
Lists: pgsql-patches
> The third step is for oracle_compat.c::initcap() to use
> formatting.c::str_initcap().  You can see the result;  patch attached
> (not applied).

> This greatly reduces the size of initcap(), with the downside that we
> are making two extra copies of the string to convert it to/from char*.

> Is this acceptable?

I'd say not.  Can't we do some more refactoring and avoid so many
useless conversions?  Seems like str_initcap is the wrong primitive API
--- the work ought to be done by a function that takes a char pointer
and a length.  That would be a suitable basis for functions operating
on both text datums and C strings.

(Perhaps what I should be asking is whether the performance of upper()
and lower() is equally bad.  Certainly all three should have comparable
code, so maybe they all need refactoring.)