Re: Warnings from fwrite() in git head

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Warnings from fwrite() in git head
Date: 2012-10-08 16:12:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I am seeing the following warnings in git head from zic.c:
> zic.c:1505: warning: ignoring return value of fwrite, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

Yeah, this is probably a consequence of the _FORTIFY_SOURCE addition.
I believe that ratchets up warning pickiness as well as other things.

I'm inclined to think we should make zic.c bail out on write errors.
Otherwise, "make install" could fail to notice an out-of-disk-space
situation during install. The analogy you are drawing to ignoring
errors while writing log messages is quite faulty.

We're overdue for another round of syncing the tz code with upstream,
too. Might be best to do that first, just in case Olson's crew already
fixed this.