Re: creating a cluster

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Garamond <lists(at)zara(dot)6(dot)isreserved(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, Alexander Cohen <alex(at)toomuchspace(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: creating a cluster
Date: 2004-06-23 15:36:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Garamond <lists(at)zara(dot)6(dot)isreserved(dot)com> writes:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 09:16:35PM -0400, Alexander Cohen wrote:
>>> Does anyone have any new ways to create clusters without using initdb
>>> or bootstrap mode? I need to be able to create one without those 2
>>> things. Any ideas?
>>
>> initdb'ing somewhere else and copying the resulting directory?

> Btw, I've been doing this for a binary distribution on Windows (Cygwin)
> and Linux.

Yeah, that would work fine as long as the "somewhere else" is using an
identical Postgres build. I found out in off-list conversation that
Alexander wants to build a hacked-up version of Postgres with all
bootstrap code removed (and, I suppose, a bunch of other changes too).
Seems to me that file-level compatibility would be difficult to
guarantee under such circumstances, so I told him he ought to put back
the bootstrap support ... it's not like it's large ...