Re: Postgresql Novice problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alain-Serge Nagni <akenaton(at)freesurf(dot)ch>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql Novice problem
Date: 2004-05-28 16:41:03
Lists: pgsql-novice
Alain-Serge Nagni <akenaton(at)freesurf(dot)ch> writes:
> But when a I try to use the Datamanager to get access to the database, it's
> looks impossible. I got an error message: [unixODBC]FATAL: IDENT
> authentication failed for user "newuser".

If you're using IDENT authentication then you can't log in under a
Postgres username that's different from your real (Unix) username.

(At least, not without fooling around with creating an ident user map,
which is probably more trouble than you want to go to.)

I'd suggest setting up your pg_hba.conf file so that this connection
is checked using passwords instead of IDENT.