Re: Installation trouble -- oops

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql general list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Installation trouble -- oops
Date: 2005-10-30 05:33:57
Lists: pgsql-general
Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com> writes:
> Is postgresql (or some parts thereof) now using relative pathing and
> has that behavior changed?

As of 8.0 we attempt to determine the libdir, sharedir etc as relative
to the location of the executable.  So you can't just "cp" the PG
executables to somewhere else without also copying the associated
support files into parallel directories.  I believe symlinking the
executables will work fine though (ie, we look through the symlink
before doing the relative-path calculation).