Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions
Date: 2004-08-24 04:02:49
Lists: pgsql-general
Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> How many of us really have the skillset to make an educated decision about
> the exact implementation of PITR features, the best strategy for buffer
> replacement, how to start/stop/throttle background writing of dirty
> buffers or why and when xid's should get frozen or not?

It's not necessary that we all do; it's only necessary that some of us
(preferably more than one, but at least one) know enough to make
reasonable choices on any one point.

> Now what is exactly the difference between those "core" feature
> decisions and the "auxiliary" or "3rd party" things?

The fact that there isn't *anyone* stepping up to do that investigation
or make those decisions.  If someone steps up to the plate, I'll be glad
to give all the moral support we can.  In the absence of someone
actually volunteering to do the work, this whole discussion is
pointless.