Re: Function call crashes server

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Function call crashes server
Date: 2002-03-21 16:19:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at> writes:
>> regression=# SELECT update_pg_pwd();
>> ERROR: getTypeOutputInfo: Cache lookup of type 0 failed

> Wouldn't it be nice to make this a feature that allows
> stored procedures (void update_pg_pwd ()) ? Correctly register
> this function to not return anything ? This is what the 0 is actually
> supposed to mean here, no ?

No, in this case the procedure is a trigger procedure and is not
supposed to be called directly at all. But we don't have a
distinguishable signature for triggers as yet. One of the changes
I'd like to make eventually is that trigger procs take and return
some special pseudo-type, so that the type system can catch this
sort of mistake explicitly.