Re: rename index?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: rename index?
Date: 2001-11-22 03:11:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Added to TODO:
> o Prevent ALTER TABLE RENAME from renaming indexes and sequences (?)

This would clearly be a step backwards, unless we provide alternate
syntax.

While it's maybe a tad inconsistent to allow ALTER TABLE RENAME to work
on the other relation types, I'm having a hard time getting excited about
doing any work just to be more rigid about it. There's a good reason
for DROP to be extremely tight about what it will do: you can't always
undo it. So the more checking we can do to be sure you meant what you
said, the better. OTOH a mistaken RENAME is easy enough to undo, so I'm
not so concerned about having very tight consistency checking on it.