Re: pgsql-server: > Please find enclose a submission to

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql-server: > Please find enclose a submission to
Date: 2004-08-30 04:53:09
Lists: pgsql-committers

> I've said several times before that I did not particularly like the
> functionality added by that patch (building non-server modules, and
> building contrib modules outside the normal build system). Therefore,
> I didn't put it high in the to-look-at queue. It might help if someone
> else would comment on whether we want this.

Well, I think it's important to be able to build both server-side and
client-side modules without access to the original build tree. In an
RPM-style environment you should only need the files installed by the
"foo-devel" RPM to build packages that depend on package foo. We are
clearly not there as of current releases, and I was hoping that pgxs
would fix this.

As for contrib in particular, it is not *necessary* to be able to build
the contrib tree outside the original build tree --- but if we don't
support that then we don't have an easy part-of-the-distro way to test
that the pgxs functionality really works. So I think it makes sense to
be able to do that. I am not any keener than you on this particular
approach ... the nesting of ifdefs in the makefiles seems mighty ugly.
But I'd like to find a way to clean it up, not just claim that we don't
need to do it.