Re: variadic flag doesn't work with "any" type

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: variadic flag doesn't work with "any" type
Date: 2010-12-10 19:26:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> 2010/12/9 Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>:
>> What exactly is the use-case for that?

> I am working on function that can help with record updating. It's
> based on polymorphic types. I would to allow a multiple modification
> per one call - like UPDATE statement does.
> some like:
> record_set_fields(anyelement, key text, value "any" [, key text, value
> "any" [..]]) returns anyelement

OK, makes sense, since you don't want to constrain the values to be all
the same datatype.

> sometimes can be interesting to use a VARIADIC value - so list of
> pairs (key,  value) can be created dynamically - (now I don't talk if
> this is good way or not).

That can't work unless you constrain all the values to be text (to match
the column-name parameters), which more or less defeats the entire point
of the function.  So I see no interesting use-case for VARIADIC here.