Re: BEGIN-cascade blocks application

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christoph Haller <ch(at)rodos(dot)fzk(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BEGIN-cascade blocks application
Date: 2004-04-02 15:33:40
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Christoph Haller <ch(at)rodos(dot)fzk(dot)de> writes:
> I've turned on statement logging to find out
> about the last one being processed. It was
> BEGIN;
> WARNING:  BEGIN: already a transaction in progress

> It was the last of a cascade of duplicate BEGINs,
> and the only reason I could see for the application being blocked
> was this cascade.

I don't think so.  An extra BEGIN is a complete no-op except for
issuing that warning message.

> I eliminated those duplicates and now the
> application runs without any stops.

You fixed a bug in your application logic, then.  Or maybe the bug is
still there but happened not to be triggered in your second test.

Just to check, I fired 100000 consecutive "BEGIN;"s at PG 7.3.6 on
HPUX 10.20, and didn't see any particular hiccup... and no, I don't
think this was affected by any bugfixes between 7.3.4 and 7.3.6 ...