Re: prepared statement support?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: clee(at)v1(dot)wustl(dot)edu
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: prepared statement support?
Date: 2000-09-09 02:24:52
Lists: pgsql-novice

Christopher Lee <clee(at)gnwy100(dot)wuh(dot)wustl(dot)edu> writes:
> I'm new to postgresql and RDBMS in general and was wondering if it supported
> "prepared statements" or some equivalent.

Not directly, but PLPGSQL-language functions cache plans for their
contained queries, so you can get the effect if you can push your
computation into function calls, triggers, etc.

Also, the backend's SPI interface for C-coded functions supports cached
plans, but that's got a bit of a steep learning curve ...