Re: Fedora + Yum + 8.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Sydney-Smith <richard(at)ibisau(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fedora + Yum + 8.1
Date: 2006-01-09 09:04:21
Lists: pgsql-general
Richard Sydney-Smith <richard(at)ibisau(dot)com> writes:
> I am running Fedora core 4 with nightly "yum" update. Presently it is
> not picking up version 8.1 as an upgrade.

> 1) If I wait will 8.1 get added to the "yummy" list

Nope.  FC4 is locked to the PG 8.0.x release series.  This goes along
with Red Hat's normal approach to release engineering: upgrades do not
introduce any significant incompatibilities.

PG 8.1 is in Fedora Rawhide == FC5-to-be.

> 2) If I add 8.1 via the RPMs will future releases be maintained by "yum"
> or do future upgrades have to continue to be done manually via RPM's

You can forcibly install any version you like, but it won't be maintained
by the Red Hat/Fedora infrastructure if you do --- at that point it's
on your own head to update the package as needed.