Re: pg_type.h regression?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_type.h regression?
Date: 2008-09-23 13:56:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com> writes:
>> I think my reasoning was that all array types should have typdelim = ','
>> for consistency. It doesn't actually matter because nothing looks at
>> the value ... the element type's delimiter is what array_in/out use.

> Ah, okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation, I'll tweak
> my code to do it the right way by looking at the base type.

Well, plan B is that we could redefine things as "all array types should
have typdelim equal to their base type's typdelim". The backend still
wouldn't care, but if there are other clients out there confusing the
two, maybe this is important to worry about.

DefineType currently always sets the array's typdelim to ',', so I
figured that the built-in types should match that. But we could
easily change both of them to do the other. Thoughts?