Re: pg_regress.sh startup failure patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>, Pgsql-Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_regress.sh startup failure patch
Date: 2002-01-03 22:00:42
Lists: pgsql-patches

Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
>> Why would it take more than 3 seconds to start the postmaster
>> under Cygwin? Something awfully fishy about that, unless
>> you're using a 286 ...

> On a Dell Inspiron 8000, PIII 850MHz, 512Mb RAM, Windows XP Pro (kept nice
> and tidy with no junk wasting resources), 7.2b4 takes about 15 seconds to
> get to 'the database system is ready' message. Subsequent startups take
> about 6 or 7 seconds following a controlled *or* uncontrolled shutdown. I
> get about 15 seconds again the first startup after a reboot.

Hm. I'm accustomed to seeing postmaster startup take about one second
--- possibly more if recovery from WAL entries is needed, but this
wouldn't apply normally. That's on machines a *lot* slower than you
two are using. Something is taking an unreasonably long time there.
It'd be worth poking into it to try to figure out what.