Re: [SQL] table aliasing problem with 6.5...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Howie <caffeine(at)toodarkpark(dot)org>, pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] table aliasing problem with 6.5...
Date: 1999-09-27 22:45:35
Lists: pgsql-sql

Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
> OK, I have added an elog(NOTICE) for this behavior:

> test=> select * from pg_language;
> lanname |lanispl|lanpltrusted|lanplcallfoid|lancompiler
> --------+-------+------------+-------------+--------------
> internal|f |f | 0|n/a
> lisp |f |f | 0|/usr/ucb/liszt
> C |f |f | 0|/bin/cc
> sql |f |f | 0|postgres
> (4 rows)

> test=> select pg_language.*;
--> NOTICE: Auto-creating query reference to table pg_language
> lanname |lanispl|lanpltrusted|lanplcallfoid|lancompiler
> --------+-------+------------+-------------+--------------
> internal|f |f | 0|n/a
> lisp |f |f | 0|/usr/ucb/liszt
> C |f |f | 0|/bin/cc
> sql |f |f | 0|postgres
> (4 rows)

> I am interested in comments about my wording, and this behavour.

I think this is a fine idea, but that wording might not be much help
to novices. Maybe "Adding missing FROM-clause entry for pg_language",
or some such?

In a situation where you've got subselects, it may not be immediately
obvious which FROM list the entry got added to. I can't think of any
simple way of identifying that, however :-(