Re: Howto: Using PITR recovery for standby replication

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Benjamin Krajmalnik" <kraj(at)illumen(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Howto: Using PITR recovery for standby replication
Date: 2006-04-21 03:09:58
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Benjamin Krajmalnik" <kraj(at)illumen(dot)com> writes:
> I have tried using pg_dump, but discovered that the backup was not a =
> consistent backup.

Really?

> Back to the problem I faced when testing backups with pg_dump, it =
> appears that the backup was not a consistent backup of the data. For =
> example, sequences which are used by some tables bo longer held the =
> correct values (the tables now held higher values),

Sequences are non-transactional, so pg_dump might well capture a higher
value of the sequence counter than is reflected in any table row, but
there are numerous other ways by which a gap can appear in the set of
sequence values. That's not a bug. If you've got real discrepancies
in pg_dump's output, a lot of us would like to know about 'em.