Re: .pgpass

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ghaverla(at)freenet(dot)edmonton(dot)ab(dot)ca
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: .pgpass
Date: 2004-07-01 15:27:12
Lists: pgsql-novice
<ghaverla(at)freenet(dot)edmonton(dot)ab(dot)ca> writes:
> I'm running Debian unstable, and I keep getting a message from a
> cron job that wants to do.maintenance about no password being
> supplied.

> Now, I gather in the past a person had to explicitly put a
> password in the cron job, but we are now supposed to use a file
> called ~/.pgpass (~ being /var/lib/postgres).

That is the recommended solution, but I'll bet that the cron job is not
running with the same value of $HOME that you think it is, and so it is
failing to find the file.  You might want to explicitly set $HOME in the
script.

Also, test the .pgpass file by manually running psql with it; if there
is something wrong with the file contents you'll be able to prove it...