Re: Reducing the memory footprint of large sets of pending triggers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reducing the memory footprint of large sets of pending triggers
Date: 2008-10-25 12:48:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> A much better objective would be to remove duplicate trigger calls, so
> there isn't any build up of trigger data in the first place. That would
> apply only to immutable functions. RI checks certainly fall into that
> category.

They're hardly "duplicates": each event is for a different tuple.

For RI checks, once you get past a certain percentage of the table it'd
be better to throw away all the per-tuple events and do a full-table
verification a la RI_Initial_Check().  I've got no idea about a sane
way to make that happen, though.