Re: Timestamp operator error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Timestamp operator error
Date: 2002-02-26 05:31:29
Lists: pgsql-sql

"Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> writes:
> FMI, though, how difficult is defining an operator if I paid a C
> programmer to do it?

Pretty trivial when it's only the commutation of an existing operator...

Actually you don't even need any C code. You could limp along at some
sacrifice of performance with an SQL function definition. Say

regression=# create function interval_plus_timestamp(interval,timestamp)
regression-# returns timestamp as '
regression'# select $2 + $1;
regression'# ' language 'sql';
CREATE

regression=# create operator + (procedure = interval_plus_timestamp,
regression(# leftarg = interval,
regression(# rightarg = timestamp);
CREATE

et voila:

regression=# select ('6 days'::INTERVAL + current_timestamp);
?column?
2002-03-04 00:28:30.230026-05
(1 row)

I'd not want to make an index depend on this operator, but for
occasional query use it should do fine ...