TODO item: make world safe for spaces in build/install paths

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: TODO item: make world safe for spaces in build/install paths
Date: 2004-12-30 18:22:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Pursuant to Theodore Petrosky's recent trouble report, I thought I would
see what happens if you try to build Postgres in a directory whose path
contains spaces, or if the install prefix contains spaces.

It doesn't work, not even close.

It looks to me like there are a couple of hundred places in the
Makefiles that would need to be fixed by adding quotes around various
references to $(libdir) and related variables.  I'm afraid that VPATH
builds with spaces in the path to the original source tree are not
realistically fixable at all; certainly prep_buildtree cannot easily be
fixed (it misparses the output of "find") and it looks like we'd need
upstream Autoconf changes as well to get configure to work fully in that

I don't think it's appropriate to try to fix this at RC3 stage,
seeing that it's not a regression --- this never worked before either.
But maybe we should add it to the TODO list to consider working on